Monday, August 23, 2010

August 23: Crow Neighborhood

A family group of five crows lives in my neighborhood. Every morning when I wake up I hear them conversing along the river, cawing back and forth. They seem to have a lot to say first thing in the morning, and it involves a bit of whining from the young crows. During the day they periodically get worked up about something outside my office and make a big racket that, like today, often gets the blue jays involved, but I haven't been able to see what they're all yelling about. Sometimes I'll drive by a lawn and see five black crows scattered across the mown green grass, calmly grazing. One big happy family. I tried to leave some over-ripe peaches out on the office lawn for them, but of course they all flew off as soon as I opened the door.

Aware of the crows,
I listen for them all day,
offer them peaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment