Tuesday, April 6, 2010

April 6: A Spot of Color

As I pulled out of the driveway this morning, giving my front lawn one last look, I was delighted to see two unexpected spots of color amid the inchoate sprigs and twigs of what will one day be a lush flower garden again. On the right side of the lawn, a single little daffodil added a cheery touch of yellow. Among the perennials on the left, a primrose once again surprised me not only by surviving the winter but by blooming before anything else had barely pushed forth incipient leaves. Not bad for a plant that I bought at Hannaford on a whim a few years ago. The tiny hot pink blossom was a button of color against the bare earth of the raked bed. Once the other plants leaf out, the primrose will be hidden, so it's taking advantage of its time to shine. It was certainly appreciated this morning as I paused on my way to work, roused from my usual early morning daze.

Not a host, but one
golden daffodil, primrose.
Ah, longed for color!

No comments:

Post a Comment